Saturday, April 17, 2021

Plow man!

       Field work has always been my favorite part of farming and plowing was always my favorite field work. Plowing is something that makes a difference. It's easy to see what you've done and what you're doing as you do it. Very few farmers plow now because most intitial tillage is done in the fall. Plowing leaves the soil too exposed to erosion over winter.  My wildlife food plots stand undisturbed during winter providing food for deer and pheasants. Spring plowing doesn't cause erosion and the ground is soon replanted. 

      Today I plowed the other field so now my plowing is complete for another year. Ideally there will be enough time before planting to allow weeds to germinate so they can be tilled down in preparation for planting thus eliminating them. Seldom has plowing gone as well as it did yesterday and today. Perhaps there would be no prize in a plowing competition for my work but it satisficed me,   

Takk for alt,

Al


                         That's Lake Joanne in front of the tractor.

No comments: