Tuesday, April 6, 2021

What did I know?

      Perhaps I know a tiny bit about a lot. Then there a few things about which I know much. My last read was about something I only knew a little and now I know some more. Likely most of us know that Gutenberg advanced the science of moveable type. The Chinese had figured it out much earlier but given the ca., two thousand Chinese characters it didn't prove to be very practical. Perhaps as significant as Gutenberg's moveable type was his ink formula.

      The Lost Gutenberg: The astounding Story of One Book's Five-Hundred-Year Odyssey, Margret Leslie Davis not only traces the history of  Gutenberg Bible #45, but also tells the story of  the esoteric world of rare book collecting.  Who would think that #45even involves the Teapot Dome Scandal?...but it does.  It is a fascinating story, well written  with it's own pathos. 

     Arriving at The Little House on the Prairie a little while ago I found ice on the lawn. Apparently there was a bit of hail in the thunder shower which was kind enough to finish before our arrival. With the soil on the edge of dry, rain is welcome. 

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: