Friday, September 15, 2023

Hard Rock

       Nope, not heavy metal music. Rather a gift that was given 10,000 years ago. That stretches my mind. At the weekly banker's and butcher's meal I serve as the community historian. But my memory only stretches back a few decades. Contemplating the today's activities a good walk was an option. Instead I decided for an encounter with gifts from 10,000 years ago. 

     10,000 years ago the last glacier retreated from South Dakota. Left in its wake were glacial moraines, i.e., hills with rocks. Carrying my bucket I filled it several times with glacier gifts. Along with the buckets of rocks came five cedar trees to eliminate, preserving the prairie aspect of the grassland. Picking rocks eliminates the need and cost of a gym membership.

    A glacial moraine was the genesis of our little hamlet's name, Sinai. Early European settlers walking by Lake Sinai after a prairie fire observed the rocky hillside. One observed "It's like Mt. Sinai." The name stuck with the Lake. Years later when the town was platted it took the lake's name and that's how it's now called 'Sinai'.

Takk for alt,

Al


               This is a place of serenity for me.

No comments: