Thursday, December 29, 2022

Heavy Heart!

     Addie Vig gave me a very significant gift. Sometime during my first call, to Zion Lutheran Church Mohall, ND, Addie and I were talking. In her straightforward, non-hostile way she challenged my defensiveness. Knowing Addie, as I did, I knew she meant well. It forced me to examine myself and change my behavior. That was a great gift that has served me well ever since. Defensiveness simply is not helpful. It was about a year ago, in a telephone conversation, that I thanked her for doing that.

     A few years ago Addie, and her husband, Duane, moved from Mohall to Bismarck, ND., to be near their daughter, Joni. When I called Addie today Joni answered the phone. The news was not good. She said she expects Addie’s death in a day or two. Addie’s in a care facility and comatose. Joni, and her sister, are taking turns sitting vigil bedside.

   About every six weeks I’d call Addie for a chat. She was a bundle of positive energy, a great story teller, and always a day brightener. A call to Addie would always boost my mood. Her impending death makes me very sad. In future blogs I’ll share more about Addie, Duane and Joni. When I got the news I called a mutual friend to have someone with whom to commiserate which was very helpful.


Takk for alt


Al


1 comment:

Michelene said...

It is late, I am sorry to read about this impending loss. I am glad we are having lunch. I will be listening.
Michelene