Saturday, December 3, 2022

Give Kaia a thought!

      Over the years I’ve worked to maximize cattail growth on the land. Why? You might ask. Cattails are excellent winter cover for wildlife, including the pheasants. When the prairie winds howl in the winter pheasants can hunker down in them and be totally out of that wind. Cattails are also protection from predators. It’s very difficult for fox, coyotes, coon or other critters to sneak up on pheasants in heavy cattail cover. 
      Consequently, much fall and winter pheasant hunting is in an around cattails. There have been times when I’ve been deep in such vegetation wondering if I will ever emerge. Now I’m most likely to walk on the outside edge of cattails. This does not apply to Kaia whose progress through them is marked by the sounds of crashing and an occasional leap in the air for a look. 
        This means that she is using her nose like a wedge to forge her way through. I think walking in cattails is very difficult but at least I don’t have to bust through them with my face. She doesn’t seem to mind, enthusiastically entering them at any opportunity. She resists the eye drops offered back at the house. Yes, I’m glad that I’m neither a pheasant nor a dog.

 Takk for alt, 

 Al


                                     Kaia, the wonder dog.

No comments: