Thursday, November 18, 2021

Wind....

       There's "the wind beneath my wings" and "the wind in my sails". Out walking in the prairie winds the last couple of days causes wonder "why don't I like the wind?"  The wind is good for Kaia, bringing cooling while she runs actively. Scents are carried to her by the wind and she always prefers working into the wind for that reason.  

       But why don't I like the wind?  Early white settlers on these windswept plains had to contend with the incessant wind with few trees for protection. My homesteading grandfather planted a huge windbreak of trees around three sides of the farmyard. Many of those trees still stand today. That legacy of tree planting was continued by my father, brother and I. 

      But why don't I like the wind. Often I've been known to say "The wind beats me up."  That's the essence of my dislike for wind. It beats me up. It makes me uncomfortable. In the wind many of the activities outdoors are more challenging. Wind makes the cold bight. Yet, here I am in The Little House on the Prairie with the front door opening north into the cold gusts. Fortunately there is an enclosed porch on the north side of the house.

 Prairie wind blowing through my head

"(Prairie wind blowing through my head)
Trying to remember what Daddy said
(Prairie wind blowing through my head)
Before too much time took away his head
(Prairie wind blowing through my head)
He said we're going back and I'll show you what I'm talking about
(Prairie wind blowing through my head)"
Neil Young


Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: