Sunday, November 14, 2021

Memories!

      Today the Minnesota Vikings football team is playing the LA Chargers. When did they leave San Diego and move to L.A.? In 1959 I attended a San Diego Charger's game. There was a time that I was a Vikings fan, but that was after attending the Charger's game.

    It's so long ago much of the memory has faded with mostly questions left. Who the Chargers played and who won the game has long been forgotten. Who made the decision for us to go? Why did they bring us? There must have been some commercial reason. Why else would busloads of Marines from boot camp be transported to a professional football game we didn't pay for.

   What is remembered is the fun of getting off base for a few hours that did not involve training. The only other times we were off base during our twelve weeks of camp was for either rifle qualification or a forced march in the desert. When subjected to a strict routine a variance like a football game was very special.  I wonder who the Chargers played and who won? 

Takk for alt,

Al


Don't think you know everything,
Father said, just because you're good
with words. They aren't everything.
I try to say the smallest amount possible.
Instead of using them indiscriminately
I try to conserve them. I'm the only one
in this household who recycles them. I
say the same thing over & over again,
like "Who forgot to turn out the lights?
Who forgot to clean up after themselves
in the bathroom?" Since you don't listen
I never have to think of other things to say.


Hal Sirowitz, “ReusingWords” from Father Said

No comments: