Friday, November 26, 2021

The news...

      Had I died of a heart attack at 70 I could have avoided this but I wouldn't chose that alternative. The results of numerous medical tests reveals that I have prostate cancer. It's not the most virulent kind and hasn't spread. Given two options, of, living with it or radiation, I've chosen radiation. Today I met with the radiation team at Methodist Hospital, got my tattoos and schedule. With the hormone shot today, side effect hot flashes, laugh it up ladies, there is no urgency about beginning radiation.

    On January 17, radiation will begin weekdays for 6-8 weeks, each day at 11:00. One of the anomalies of our medical system is that the insurance company determines the length of treatment. The doctor's recommendations don't count.  

     It is almost a given that a man living much past 70 will have prostate cancer, which I've long known. Treatment will be a nuisance, but mostly I'm grateful. There's gratitude for medical technology that can diagnose and treat. Medical professionals who prepare and can treat such cancers are a great gift. It's a blessing to have medical insurance to pay the costs. Thanks to Lars, who has accompanied me to the visits to support, ask questions and take notes.

     By January 17, much of the work of downsizing and staging of the condo for sale will be done. Fatigue, a side effect of the radiation, should not occur until much of the moving is done. There's a couple of questions. I forgot to ask: Will radiation make me glow in the dark? Will I radioactively set of Geiger Counters?  Perhaps those questions can wait.

Takk for alt,

Al

 

1 comment:

Peter said...

Good luck, Al. We'll be praying for you!