Saturday, November 6, 2021

Squeeze Play!

       Beginning in 1964 Joanne and I made mutual decisions about where to to live. Leaving Sioux Falls after our marriage we settled in St. Louis Park, MN., Mohall, N.D., Sioux Falls, Davenport, IA., Golden Valley, MN., and then to downtown Minneapolis. Now, in Joanne's absence, but with the excellent guidance of Lisa and Lars, I'm preparing to move again. 

     My new home will be Lexington Landings, a Presbyterian Homes, senior housing, (senior=geezer) in St. Paul, MN. If you know St. Paul it's at Old Lexington Ave. and W. 7th Street. My fourth floor apartment, #464...you can look it up online...faces south over 7th Street with a view of the Minnesota River Valley.  Occupancy will be effective Dec. 6, but I have no illusions that I'll actually be there by then. It's a rental arrangement and the rent isn't so steep that I can't afford for it to be vacant a bit. The apartment is in the independent living section but both assisted living and memory care are available in the building, i.e., continuum of care. The building is new and there are only two apartments left to rent in independent living.  

     The condominium is 1835 square feet, three bedrooms, and the apartment is a one bedroom and 856 square feet. Some squeezing will need to be done. Much downsizing was accomplished moving from the house in Golden Valley to the condo. This will be another step. Everything we own ends up owning us in some measure, so I anticipate an enhanced sense of freedom. A POW once said "I was surprised how free I felt when everything had been taken away from me." 

     How quickly this all happened is a huge surprise to me, other than a few bouts of anxiety about the downsizing, I'm at peace with the decision and look forward to being settled. The Little House, you ask? Occupancy of The Little House will not change and likely will continue to be primary locus for awhile. Kaia? She gets to go with me. 😀  

Takk for alt,

Al

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Happy to hear this, Al! As I mentioned at my birthday party, our good friends love it there. I hope your experience will be the same. Good luck with the move!

Kristine LaLonde said...

Good luck with the move--sounds lovely!