Monday, January 25, 2021

Fact's and opinions.

        For the past several years when I wasn't teaching in Thailand I was teaching at Hmong, Noble Academy. Most of my time was devoted to reading with groups of students. Before my time evolved into reading I assisted in classrooms of 5th and 6th graders. The teachers with whom I worked did an excellent job of teaching the difference between fact and opinion. The students seemed to grasp that significant difference. Patrick Moynihan famously said ,"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  '"Alternative facts" was a phrase used by U.S. Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway during a Meet the Press interview on January 22, 2017, in which she defended White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer's false statement about the attendance numbers of Donald Trump's inauguration as President of the United States." (Wikipedia) The Washington Post claims that trump made 30,573 false or misleading claims while in office. 

       All this came to mind when I read L.K. Hanson's weekly post in The Minneapolis StarTrbune today.

   

  

     As the old saying goes "If the shoe fits put it on."

Takk for alt,

Al

This is really random but too beautiful not to share. PL took this sunrise picture from his deck in Olympia, WA., looking across Puget Sound with Mt. Rainer in the distance. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will leave a comment in praise of randomness. :) Hope you're well!