Tuesday, May 19, 2020

When in doubt,read!

     Too wet!  The dryer of the two fields was still too wet. Not to be denied I disced it anyway. After consulting the weather forecast I decided to postpone further field work for another day. If the forecast is accurate there should be sufficient time to plant before the predicted rain on Saturday.  A bit of tinkering with my tractors followed but left me with time on my hands.
      So, what did I do?  My Name Is Lucy Barton, Elizabeth Strout, called to me. How to characterize this book is a bit of a puzzle. Were it not a novel it would be a memoir. It is all told as Lucy's memory, much of which relates to her impoverished and abusive childhood. Lucy not only recounts what she did but, even more, what she thought and felt. Many pages are from her hospital room where she spends weeks recovering from an unspecified surgery.   While she is hospitalized her mother comes to visit bringing sharp focus to the unusual mother daughter relationship.
     Having read and enjoyed Strout's The Burgess Boys, some years ago Lucy did not disappoint.

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: