Saturday, May 2, 2020

Point's Of View

      A columnist who writes in a weekly farm paper I received today wrote "now that the virus is declining."  What? Where?  When I check the reports it is not what I read. It looks to me the worst is yet to come, while it may be true that in some areas the rate of infection has slowed. More American's have died in a few month than died in America's War in SE Asia and that was over a period of several years.
      Survival is never a sure thing as many persons have found out when they've been surprised to wake up dead. One of my friends appends a Yiddish proverb to his emails: "Man plans, God laughs."  The late Bill Holm's poem says it well:

Last Meal
by Bill Holm
On death row you celebrate your last night
with your last dinner, your choice, your last craving
to make at least your stomach happy before it stops
craving anything at all. Many choose
simple food: a hamburger, mac and cheese, ice cream.
What might it be for you, my friend?
Duckling Rouenaisse? A roast of unborn lamb?
Washed down with Veuve Cliquot '59 and old Armagnac?
And how do you know, my friend, that you are not

eating your last meal at this very table now?
Chew slowly. Make sure you take in all the body and the blood.
 
"Last Meal" from The Chain Letter of the Soul by Bill Holm 

     Well, I haven't awakened dead yet, so I keep reading, walking and giving thanks. During this terrible pandemic I'm among those most fortunate.

Takk for alt,

Al

Random picture. 
Monument to  Henry the Navigator responsible for Portugal's success at sea.  

No comments: