Saturday, May 16, 2020

Pachinko

    It's a gift to have children who read. Lars gifted me with the Frederick Douglass Biography at Christmas. Lisa has been recommending books to me since I began quarantine in her house.  Among those Lisa has recommended is Pachinko, Min Jin Lee, a great story (MJV, Have you read it?).  It's the story of a four generation,poor, Korean family who move to Japan during WW II. The discrimination that Koreans experience in Japan is a very significant part of the book. Written well as a compelling story, this novel employs significant jumps in time very effectively,
    "This is a captivating book I read at the suggestion of a young staffer on my team---a historical novel about the Korean immigrant experience in wartime Japan. Min Jin Lees's novel takes us through four generations and each characters search for identity and success. It's a powerful story about resilience and compassion."  President Barack Obama
    Pachinko received the 2017 National Book Award for novels. 
    Well, of course I recommend it. 😊

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: