Monday, May 11, 2020

Par the course but no golf.

    A flat tire, dead battery, snow plow damage, air compressor failure and a frozen power takeoff shaft defined my day. Par for the course when dealing with old machines and building.  A number of years ago I acquired the town repair garage. Once it was full of tractors but now it has been pared down to four.
       When I first owned it there was a gas pump in front. The garage is across the street from the fire hall and a fire truck backed into the pump and dislodged it. A raised concrete slab covered with iron remains where the pump stood. Without proof, I blame a snowplow for peeling the iron into a 'C' curve.  Flattening the iron was my first task...quarter inch steel has a mind of its own!
       During winter I store my flatbed trailer in the garage. Tractor A, a 1950 Farmall M, started but had a flat front tire. For the 25? years I've owned the garage, which was built in 1907, the integrated air compressor has faithfully inflated everything I've brought to it. Today I turned it on so I could use a pneumatic impact wrench to change the tire. What, no air?
       Back in the dim confines of the storeroom where the compressor lives the electric motor was running but the compressor was not. After 25 years of my use, plus how many before me,
it just faithfully chugged away. Two. almost inaccessible, burrs loosened, belt tightened, burrs tightened and there was air for the impact wrench. A tire was changed.
       Tractor B,  70s something, International 706, turned over a few times and then...that dreaded nothing. Dead battery...where's the battery charger?  Hook up the charger and while the battery is charging drive out to the field.  Yes, it's dry enough to work but there are too many corn stalks to plow with out chopping first.
      The old stalk chopper stands next to the field.  Is it ready?  No, the power takeoff shaft that powers the chopper when attached to the tractor is frozen stiff. So, it's back to town for grease, tools, a chain, etc. Chaining the truck to the shaft dislodges it...lubricate it and the chopper and tomorrow???
    Meanwhile back at the garage Tractor B, starts. Does this mean that I will actually get to the field tomorrow?  Stay tuned for the next episode of a man outstanding in his field.

Takk for alt,

Al
Outstanding in his field.

Tractor A.

No comments: