Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Community!

"Our country is in trouble and it lacks coherent leadership and this obligates us to extend ourselves to each other. Love your neighbor. Gather your family close. Prepare for hard times ahead. Pledge allegiance to each other. This country is so much better than it appears these days. Now is the time to come to its aid, before it sinks."  Garrison Keillor. 

    As the second anniversary of Joanne's death approaches I'm reminded by Keillor's words of how important community was to me as I struggled to regain my footing after she died. The communities I counted in Norway, Thailand, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, scattered other place around America and closer to home in my neighborhood and my church, made up of  family and friends, bolstered me through the darkest days of grief.
   Once again these communities are present for me as we live in the reality of COVID-19.  These relationships are not only personal but the bulwark for restoring our civic life.  What was that old ad? "Reach out and touch someone today."

Takk for alt,

Al
    

No comments: