Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Best Seller

    It's not been a pattern for me to watch the best seller lists to read what appears there.  On the Sunday New York Times list I noticed a couple of books that I'd read; Little Fires Everywhere and Educated. Both of those were choices of my book club.
    Perusing books available from the Hennepin County Library I saw Where the Crawdads Sing, Delia Owens, was available. Knowing it had been a best seller for weeks I thought "why not." WOW!  Now I know why it's a best seller.  Survival story? Mystery? Romance? Family systems? Environmental tract? All of the above?  The lead character's understanding and engagement in the marsh that surrounds her is as poetic as the poetry that's included in the book.
    Owens can construct characters that are enticingly engaging. They are so engaging that I found myself  emotionally deeply involved.  "It's just a story" I kept, yet I remained significantly attached. She's also a consummate story teller and values are woven into the story that  create moments of moral outrage.  This would be good book for a club with plenty of issues to discuss.  Yes, it's a page turner.

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: