Sunday, January 29, 2017

Sometimes Words Fail!

   Trying to describe the color, cacophony, drama, action and experience of  a Chinese New Year's festival taxes my descriptive abilities,  Parenthetically, we'll attend one tonight here in Ayutthaya but the big one in Bangkok's Chinatown was cancelled for the year of mourning the King's death.  I'll try to describe the tourism exposition in Bangkok's Lupini Park.
    The park, 142 acres of greenery smack dab in the middle of downtown Bangkok, and, about five blocks from the Christian Guesthouse where I stay, is Bangkok's answer to New York City's Central Park.  Annually it is the site of the Thai Tourism Festival.  Three sections represent the north, central and south of Thailand.  Foods, crafts and entertainment, e.g., music and dances, unique to each section give an understanding of the regional differences.
     The effect is a bit like the state fair, minus animals and machines, crossed with the Uptown Arts Festival.  Early afternoon the crowds were very manageable and the festival sprawls over many acres. Much of the music and dancing doesn't begin until later.
   Litter cans are non-existent in downtown Bangkok?  Want to throw some thing away?  Just deposit it on the edge of the sidewalk and the sweeping crew will get it in the evening.  So, I was surprised that the festival was well supplied with garbage cans and also surprised how everyone made a point of using them.  Litter crews were also active, I set my empty paper cup down for a moment and before I knew it someone had taken for trash.
   Sitting on a park bench at the festival watching the world go by I was approached by two middle aged women who wanted their picture with me.  After obliging I began to wonder what they plan to do with it? Make a husband/boyfriend jealous?  😉  Who knows?
Making my $1.00 omelette.
Dead King's picture draped in black behind statue of Rama III.

Food for sale.


Thatched roof  booths.

Skyscrapers tower over the park.

Dancers.

No comments: