Thursday, January 19, 2017

Making the Principal Cry!

   Friends from my boyhood would not be surprised to learn that I made the principal cry.  She likes to engage me in conversation because she's engaging and she wants to practice English.  In speaking with her yesterday I wondered how she, a farmer's daughter, became a school principal.
   Today she returned for some clarification of that conversation.  When I spoke of "university" she thought "anniversary."  After we clarified that I asked if her parents wanted her to go to college. "No" she said, "my father wanted me to be a farmer."   "Is he proud of you now" I asked?  With tears in her eyes she replied "He died ten years ago but I think he'd be very proud."  But, university studies were her motivation.
    When I was told Tuesday that I'd not be teaching 6th grade because they are studying for an examination I expressed mild disappointment.  Arriving at school today I was told I'd teach 5th grade first hour and 6th grade 2nd hour.  I'm not surprised by the change, it's rather typical Thai behavior to quietly accommodate so no one loses face.  Of course I'm pleased.
    Since the King's death in October all the teachers, who are state officials, are dressing in black as a sign of mourning.  Over the years the teachers I've related to most are Aroonse and Anne because they are most proficient in English.  I had no clue that Anne is Muslim until she came to school wearing a hijab with her black dress.  Today we both ate pork fried rice.

Principal joins the students raking.
Anne and Aroonsee

Daily flag raising

Daily Opening Exercises

6th grade in Thursday uniform.

Computer lab.
Monk's chapel next to the school.


No comments: