Tuesday, January 17, 2017

First day back...7th year!

     Shouts, high fives, fist bumps and smiles welcomed me back to the school at Wat Klang.  There were two new fourth graders and on new fifth student but I knew all the rest. Some changes among the teachers...4th and kindergarten teachers have traded places.  Thee is one new teacher for the 3 year olds...students begin at age three in Thailand but I only see them at lunch.  There are two student teachers whom I've not met yet.
    The biggest change is a new principal who speaks English. She engaged me in conversation more today than the previous principals had in six years.  She's young, 45, and wants to work on her English skills.  I've often thought that I do more for the teachers than the students.
     The sixth grade is preparing for some examination. therefore, I'm not scheduled to teach them.  That's disappointing because I have a three year relationship with them.  They are also the most capable in English.  When I expressed my disappointment it sounded as if they might rework the schedule so I can work with them.
   The new school remains a work in progress, some work has been done, but it's far from finished.  I'm glad it's not done because I like the funky, old wood building.  The new one is concrete and I can't imagine it will have much soul.  Work progresses as the temple administration finds funds.

Walking to the temple.



The new principal. The teachers are wearing black mourning the kings death.

No comments: