Monday, January 20, 2014

Teaching and learning? in Thailand.

    During the morning assembly Aronsee, the 4th grade and English teacher, gave me my teaching assignment for the morning.  She said "Teach 5th grade from 8:30 until 9:30 and grade 3 from 10:00 until 11:00.  Puang and Ann are gone."  Puang and Ann are the 5th and 3rd grade teachers respectively.  This means that I was the only adult in those rooms today and only an hour in each one. The students are given assignments to work on in the teacher's absence. They've never heard of substitute teachers and the students seem to handle it well.
   There about 20 new computers at the school this year.  On my visits to the computer room all I've seen the students do is play games.
   I can now name 90% of the students in grades 3, through 6.  It's helpful that the 3rd grade twins, Laila and
her sister Naada have different hair styles.  It's also helpful that everyone in Thailand has a nick name. In the 3rd grade class besides the twins are Fahut, Nude, Bell, Reed, Faara, Muunid, Don, Da, Daam, Frank, Wid, B, and Ussama.

No comments: