Monday, January 6, 2014

Minus 20 to 91 above in 24 hours.

    It's that time again.  It's time for my cross cultural plunge into life in Thailand.  Recently I read a comment from an American living in Thailand who said "Thai and American cultures are fundamentally so different that offense is inevitable."  True or not they are radically different.  One small example is that there is no word for 'guilt' in Thai...the idea doesn't even exist.
   This will be my 6th year teaching school in Ayutthaya and the 5th in Wat Klang School.  Last year's 6th graders have moved on to junior high and I'll have a new group of 3rd graders.  I expect to see all the same teachers but a new principal because of a retirement.  The teachers have included me in their group which increases my satisfaction at school.
   For the 4th year I will stay with the same family.  Poo, (pronounced Poe) the 25 year old daughter, got married in November. Her husband, Tong, has moved into the house.  I met him last year.  They are keeping a place for me to sleep on their floor. :)
   Thailand has been  unseasonably cold with day time highs in the low 80s and the low 60s at night.  I'm guess they have been very uncomfortable...they probably bought parkas!  It will probably be 10 degrees or more above that by the time I arrive.
   My flight is at 1:10 pm Wednesday (1/8) and I will arrive in Bangkok at 1:00 am Friday morning.  The flight is direct to Tokyo, 12 hours, and then 6.5 hours to Bangkok.  Why do we have to go through security in Japan just to change planes?  At least we don't have to take off our shoes.
   The students at Noble Academy have sent an "I Spy" list with me again.  I'll be searching for items on that list for pictures plus adding some of my own mystery pics. It helps me pay better attention to my surroundings.
   Assuming that I can find internet access I'll blog regularly from Thailand.  I've been cautioned not to rub in the temperature differential between Thailand and Minnesota.
  So....'till Thailand.......

No comments: