Friday, January 10, 2014

Bangkok Nursing Hospital (BNH)

    BNH was founded 115 years ago and was the first hospital in Thailand to access foreign medical insurance.  The lobby  is reminiscent of a five star hotel.  The 4th floor open air atrium boasts palm trees and green grass.  It's the hospital where I recuperated from my Laotian hiking accident a few years ago and is about three blocks from my guesthouse.  The BNH card that I carry since that time expedites the paper work.
   Needing a refill of the prescription of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine I carry for migraines I went to the pharmacy at BNH today.   Pharmacy said I'd need to see a doctor in internal medicine and directed me to the 4th floor.
    After a 3 min. wait in internal medicine a nurse weighed me, 98 kg, took my blood pressure, 113/76,  and sent me back to the waiting area.  Fifteen minutes later I was ushered into the doctor.  He asked me a number of questions, examined me and wrote the prescription which pharmacy filled.
  Charges were as follows.  Physician Evaluation 500B ($15.00), Nursing Charges  200B ($6.00)  Medication  (90) pills 1800B ($54.00).  So the 2500B  total is $75.00 and there are enough pills to last me at least two years.
   The whole experience took about a half hour on a Saturday morning when I went without an appointment!              

No comments: