Friday, January 10, 2014

Bangkok again!

   Changes...i pads and smart phones are rendering email cafes obsolete.  I'm using a frustratingly inadequate  set up the Bangkok Christian Guesthouse. I'm hoping for better access when I get  to Ayutthaya where I teach.  I'll go tomorrow, Sunday, and start teaching Monday.  I guess it's time for me to upgrade my technology..
   Big anti-government protests are scheduled to shut down traffic in Bangkok Monday.  They propose to close 20 key intersections which will paralyze  road traffic which is always at or above capacity. The elevated train  (Sky-train) and subway will be jammed.  It remains to be seen if I'll be able to return to Bangkok for my weekend R & R.
   The protesters don't like the government and are trying to block the planned elections.  They're in a pickle because they are the minority and haven't won an election in 10 years and will lose again if there's an election.  The government is afraid to call out the police for fear of violence and backlash. Also the government  is less popular in Bangkok.  Again "when elephants fight the ants suffer".  Army coup?...possible.
     Changes?...I walked through the local McDonald's and it's half the size it was last year. In  the past I've seldom heard sirens in Bangkok.  Yesterday I heard 3, including one on an ambulance that wailed for ten minutes in one place as it was stuck in rush hour traffic on Silom Rd.
    Weather you ask?  Perhaps 90 yesterday.

No comments: