Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Fractured English

   Gai asked me to compose a sign for the new tuk-tuk they just rented.  She wanted passengers to use the bell to request a stop rather than tapping on the window.  I proposed "If you want to stop the tuk-tuk please ring the bell."  She thought that was good and I wrote it out for her.  Today when they picked me up after school she proudly pointed out the sign affixed to the window "If you want to stop the tuk-tuk please the bell." Ring had been left out!
   What should I do?  I decided to say nothing because the sign is attached to the window, the meaning is clear and tourists will think it's an interesting case of fractured English.
   One of my favorite cases of fractured English is the sign I go by everyday on the way to school which says "CITY LIMITS PLEASE PRODUCE SPEED."   Another is the TV channel called "JEWVERY".  It's a jewelry saleS channel and I've seen it for years.  There's a hospital I pass to and from the airport that has a huge neon sign that boldly proclaims "PIYATE HOSPITAL." The sign should read "PRIVATE HOSPITAL."

Sweets wrapped with banana leaf.

Gai with new tuk-tuk.

Third grade, the two on my lap are twins.

Fifth grade.

Teachers at lunch.

No comments: