Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Louse Patrol.

   This year Thailand relaxed the rule regarding student hair cuts.  Previously girls had to have Page Boy style cuts and boys short hair. No more, now anything is allowed, though none of the boys at my school have grown their hair out.  However, 75% of the girls now have long hair.
  The change comes with a price.  Long hair has exacerbated the problem of head lice.  Today was 'head lice treatment day' at school.  It was easy to see who was being treated because they wore shower caps.  None of the boys had lice but I only saw two girls without shower caps.  It's not a cause of embarrassment and I often see women and girls sitting around picking lice out each other's hair. When I asked the teacher often they did louse patrol she said "once a week."   In 6 years of teaching this is the first time I've seen it.  What happens when a newly treated student returns to a home with lice?
  Yesterday I was teaching the 5th grade, my largest class with 23 students, working on vocabulary.  I said "key" and the class irrupted in peals of laughter.  I soldiered on holding up a key to demonstrate the word. When I got home I turned to my Thai dictionary and discovered that in Thai had said "shit".  I guess I stepped in that time, but, I did add a new word to my vocabulary.
Long hair.

"I Spy"  Sainee and Natsaree modeling their Wed. school uniforms which are Scout's.  All Thai students participate in scouting. 

Two 5th grade students modeling their shower caps.

No comments: