Saturday, December 31, 2011

Definition of Forlorn

Imagine yourself in a large shopping mall, in Tesco the Thai version of Target, shopping with seven Thai when you feel the all too familiar, initial symptoms of food poisoning. "How did this happen? you may ask. Well...
Gai picked me up via tuk tuk to take me to an internet cafe. After I completed my internet time we all, Max my host lady, too, had lunch and then went to Gai's house to inspect the aftermath of the flood. Gai's house is in a relatively new development that might make us think of town houses. Unlike the traditional Thai houses which are either built on stilts or are two story these are all one story. Gai said she didn't think much of it when the water reached her door...that's happened before...but it kept coming until it was several feet deep in the house. With no second floor in which to take refuge or store their belongings they had to flee with the clothes on their backs. The evacuated to a shelter with 1000s of others but that, too, flooded. They ended up with relatives in Bangkok. Thus the email they sent to in December, "house flooded, no money no food." They also had to abandon their tuk tuk to the flood...I'll say more about this another time.
Max and family spent three months trapped upstairs yet, to Gai, they were the lucky ones because they didn't have to flee and were able to carry their belongings upstairs. It's all relative.
My first night on the floor was a bit difficult, so, because Gai's house is near Tesco, and we had a tuk tuk I decided to go buy a sleeping mat. Three things I didn't take into consideration when I made this decision. First, that I had seven Thai in tow; second, that it was Saturday of New Years Weekend and the entire population of Ayutthaya would be at Tesco; and third, I'd be symptomatic of food poisoning I quickly found the mat I wanted and then we did some clothes shopping for the children while my stomach began to send distress signals. We could not find anything that 14 year old Mai wanted as I felt increasingly sick. It's my new definition of forlorn...stuck in a Thai shopping mall looking for clothes when my stomach is threatening explosion.
We did make it back to the comforts of a bathroom in my house...and suddenly I was doubly grateful for a western style toilet. When I'm sick I'm like a dog that just wants to be left alone...not an option with two Thai women feeling personally responsible for my well being! But I survived both the food poisoning and the attention that it brought. It turned out be a relatively mild bout, I am an expert after all, and I feel fine today.
Because it was New Year's Eve there was huge neighborhood celebration on the street by the house. I even managed to sleep through the music and fireworks; cherry bombs. I'd have joined them if I felt better. Maybe next year :).
A little PS: There so many Christmas Trees in Bangkok it feels like a northern MN forest!

2 comments:

Tom von Fischer said...

My empathy button has been pushed so many times in today's blog that I hardly know where to begin!
Food poisoning? That should only be endured at home.
Unwelcomed female attention? That defies imagination!
Fleeing the flooding with only the clothes on their back? Incomprehensible!
3 months trapped on 2nd floor? Gives new meaning to stir-crazy!
Sleeping on the floor without a/c or mattress? And you went back in spite of knowing all this?

Thanks (I think!) for the new definition of forlorn. We specialize in prayers for lost and forlorn people.

Your friend,
Sir Thomas & the RRRR

Traveling Curmudgeon said...

Thanks for the prayer support...I think I felt it under my back last night...either that or the extra pad I bought. Anyway, it's an adventure!