Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Bangkok Chilling

Imagine my surprise, after arising at 3am for a 6am flight to Chicago, as I sit and wait for my flight to Inchon, Korea, up walks my cousin, Steve S. Turns out he's on my flight on his way to a friend's wedding in Bangkok. Not only that, he'll also be on my return flight. We also were able to share a taxi from the airport becasue we're staying in the same area of this huge city. After the wedding Steve is going to Singapore and Viet Nam.
The 13.5 hour flight to Korea made the 5.5 hour from there to Bangkok seem like a touch and go! Headwinds to Korea put us in late and our connecting flight was held for us. It's my first time on Asiana Airlines and I'm a convert. Wonderful service and they gave me an exit row for the long flight to Korea for no extra charge. Didn't realize how bad Delta is until I had this comparison. Plus, the Asiana flight cost me 100,000 frequent flier miles and Delta wanted 150,000.
So I'm chilling the Bangkok Christian Guesthouse again. No flood in this central area of BKK. However, every time the flood comes up in conversation people talk about how bad it was in Ayutthaya.
Surprisingly cool here...perhaps the 60s this a.m. and the Guesthouse has just kept the doors open without turning on the a/c. From the plane window I could see ice and snow in Inchon, Korea. Interesting conversation with my Korean seat mates re: the leadership change in N. Korea. One just graduated from IA State with a degree in engineering and is going to work in Brazil. He said that the Korean students were told to gather in Chicago if war broke out and the government would send a plane to pick them up.
I can't start teaching until next week so I'll hang here in BKK a few days. My big suitcase of teaching materials made it here with the rest of my luggage.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Quite a coincidence!

Traveling Curmudgeon said...

A happy one!

Tom von Fischer said...

The Great Traveling Spirit knew how to crack a smile on your face ... send a family member :<)