Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sleepless in Bangkok

Someplace past midnight I awakened as my body told me it was noonish and my stomach said it had missed lunch. Parker Palmer, in one one of his books, said if you find yourself in something of which you can't get out get into it, i.e., "if you can't get out of it get into it". I've found that a very helpful philosophy in many situations and it's saved me a lot of useless angst. So, with that in mind, rather than tossing and turning I got up and watched a bit of Asia News and CNN on TV. Then finished the 'who dunnit' I began on the plane.
After that I was able to sleep until 8am. Daylight this close to the equator is 6am until 6pm year around. Therefore, anytime I see daylight I know that breakfast, included with the room, will be ready...it's served from 6-10am. Today's menu; fried eggs, bread for toasting with peanut butter and jam, two tasteless dried cereals w/soy milk, yogurt, noodles, bananas, guava, a couple of stir fries, mango juice and coffee. Something for every one's taste.
Dairy's not big in Asia nor is bread. My host family last year told me Americans would not be so fat if they ate less bread and more rice. The dairy and bread sections in a grocery store are one small shelf while rice takes a whole aisle. Eggs are sold in plastic bags. Oveltine is so popular that McDonald's sells it as they do pork sandwiches.

No comments: