Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Shopping BKK Style

Yesterday morning I took the elevated train (Skytrain) to the Siam Center on my quest for a cell phone. The Siam Center is BKK's version of the Mall of America...perhaps as many stores but not all under one roof. My family suggested, OK, insisted that I have a phone this time. The first price suggested by the clerk was 900B ($30) and when the bargaining ended I payed 650B. However, I could have made money on the deal. I payed with a 1000B note and received 1350B in change. Of course I returned the 1000B. My first incoming call? From Steve S. inviting me to the wedding.
In the phone instructions there is a section on "Fake Calls". It instructs on how to make your phone ring if you're in a boring meeting or conversation. Perhaps I'll study up on that!
To get the full BKK experience I went shopping at the Pratnumun in the afternoon. It's blocks of stalls selling clothing and whatever all under one roof. I bought an outfit for Mai-Evy. I sure hope its fits because returns will be a problem.

No comments: