Friday, December 30, 2011

Ayuttthaya Now (

The trip from Bkk to Ayutthaya gave me a cardiac moment. I've got this large suitcase filled with books for school, plus my suitcase and carry on bag...100lbs total. With all this I elected to a take a taxi from the guesthouse to the minibus so I wouldn't have schlep it all on the Skytrain. The taxi drive was clueless so eventually I got out in the middle of the street, in a big traffic jam somewhat in the vicinity of the minibus. After successfully negotiating the street crossing to a minibus I was pointed up the steps and thataway.

Hoisting 100lbs of bags I climbed the three flight of stairs and viola...I knew where I was and where I needed to go. Around the Democracy Monument on the skywalk, down three flights of stairs, through the outdoor shops and to the correct minibus.

My host family is (was?) building a new house when the flood hit. Construction stopped then so I'm living in a construction zone. Sleeping on the floor doesn't get any easier. The water line in the downstairs where I stay is about at the 8ft level or about 12ft above the street. How they maintained electricity as they were trapped upstairs for three months is a mystery, their electric meter on the pole in front of their house is below the high water line. Fortunately they have an upstairs bathroom and had enough food stockpiled to wait out the flood.
Communication is a bit difficult because, Poo, daughter, is gone for a few days...temple something? Mai (Mr) is still working and Max (Mrs) is too but doesn't have many costumers. The good news is that Poo will have a job beginning Jan. 2. The company she was working for in IT folded during the flood.

I connected with Gai this morning. She's the one who managed the volunteer teachers the first year I was here. She speaks English so fast, broken and accented that I seldom am sure what's she's said. One thing is very clear...she's deeply grateful for some money I wired to her family before I came. I think she said that their tuk tuk, the family's source of income, is being repaired and will soon be ready.

1 comment:

Tom von Fischer said...

No lack of drama in your life as the page turns to 2012! It's good to see your preparatory conditioning regimen of bench pressing 500 lbs. came in handy for your cardiac moment.

40 degrees and brown here for NY Eve. Joanne will come over for dinner on Tuesday. We'll toast your sleeping on the floor!

All the Best!
Tom & the RRRR