Saturday, December 10, 2011

Relief For Flooded Thailand

Three years ago when I was teaching in Ayutthaya, Thailand, I lived in a house with other volunteer teachers. A Thai woman, Gai, was hired to provide us with food and language instruction. Gai and her husband, Mai, have three children at home. The children became special to the volunteer teachers. I have stayed in contact with the family via email and visiting them when I've been in Ayutthaya.
During the recent flood I received an email from Gai which said in effect; 'house flooded, no money no food.' Their income source is a Tuk-Tuk, a small three wheeled taxi they use to transport tourists. Obviously not usable during a severe flood.
Now they are home but do not have enough money to replace the school clothes their children need or to fix damage to their house. However, today I was able to wire them some money via Western Union so they do not need to wait for my arrival in two weeks to get some help.

No comments: