Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sleeping late is not an option.

At five every morning the Muslim call to prayer sounds through my window from the neighborhood mosque. That is about the same time the roosters begin to crown and storks caw in the rice paddies. That about does it for sleep.
I report to school about 8am and await my morning teaching assignments. Today I taught a class each of 5th and 6th grades. Now, in my third year, I'm realizing that the 5th grade is regularly my favorite. After class today the 5th graders lined up for my autograph and phone number. There may be some surprised Thai parents if any of the students place an international call to me.
Tonight I took my host family and the family that took care of the school volunteers three years ago out for dinner at the night market. There were eight of us in all and that cost me $9.00. I always was a big spender. I hadn't seen the family of three years ago since then so it was really fun to see how their children, now ages 12, 11 and 5 have grown.
In a previous blog I mentioned how well my hostess cooks. For breakfast today she sauteed carrots, asparagus and pork...delicious. They were fascinated to learn how little rice we eat and how much bread. Their reaction? "Bread makes you fat!"
Oh...did I mention they're also doing my laundry?

No comments: