Monday, January 17, 2011

Lacksidasical education.

Today I was asked to teach 3rd grade first period. Something was said to me about the teachers having some duty at the temple. When I glanced out the door a bit later I saw the headmaster and all the teachers, grades 3-6, walking across the yard toward the temple. The 4th, 5th and 6th grade classes had no adult present in the room. The students seem perfectly capable of handling this situation without causing problems. But, it seems a lot of teaching opportunity is missed. When I completed my lesson I simply left the room and went to the next one (4th) even though there was no teacher to relieve me.
I really do wish I could have a schedule for a week. I've come to see that it is the English teacher's lack of organization that is the problem. The teachers are very welcoming of me and include me in their lunch time conversation. Switching schools next year to find one that is better organized is tempting but I also value the relationships I've established.
It was so cool today that a long sleeved shirt felt good. The breeze blowing through the open classroom doors was chilly. One wall is all windows, all open, and on the other side are doors (2) opening to the outdoor, 2nd floor, walkway and the doors are also always open.

No comments: