Monday, January 10, 2011

Living large...

I think I am the first falang (foreigner) that my family has hosted. Their motivation is unclear; money? $45. for two weeks room and board doesn't seem like much even here, English practice? possibly, curiosity? maybe...or all of the above. Whatever their motivation they certainly are hospitable.
When I reported for duty at school today I was warmly welcomed back by the teachers, all of whom I knew from last year. I never know what I will teach until I get to school. Today I taught 3rd...only eight students...and 4th grades. I have no idea what I'll teach tomorrow.
Students at the school sweep, dust and mop the school before classes. At lunch (eat rice) they wipe down the tables, pick up the chairs and mop the floors. They also police the school grounds for litter. I've always been impressed by how cheerfully they do these tasks. It's not only the upper grades, even the three year olds pitch in. I commented on this behavior when I was having my lunch with the teachers. They said the whole school is divided into teams. One team is responsible for doing these duties each week on a rotating basis. They said "we want the students to learn responsibility and how to work together so the teams are self organizing."

No comments: