Sunday, January 23, 2011

Navigating by Temples

When I learned that I would be staying with a family I wondered how I would find their house. Ayutthaya is at least 100,000 population. The plan was for me to go to Tony's Place, a popular tourist hangout near the minibus stop. Then I was to call and inform them I was there.
At Tony's I told a waitress that I needed to make a telephone call. She reached in her pocket and handed me her cell phone. When I was unclear about how her phone worked she made the call for me and the family came by tuk-tuk to pick me up and bring me home which was next to Wat (Temple) Toom.
So, when I needed a motorcycle taxi ride all I needed to say was "Wat Toom". Last year I stayed by Wat Napramien and the year before by Wat Salapoon. Thus, navigation by temples.
Yes...I am home and yes, it is very cold.

No comments: