Thursday, January 6, 2011

Greetings from Bangkok!

The flights from Mn to Bkk were uneventful which is probably a good thing. Switched planes in Tokyo with just enough time to get through security (again) and board the Bkk flight. The Bkk flight wasn't full so I upgraded myself from a middle inside seat to an aisle seat in row 13.
The flight to Tokyo took a northern route so someplace between Alaska and Russia (Did you know that you can see Russia from Sarah's window?) I finished my first book. It was GOODNIGHT NEBRASKA by Tom McNeal which I really enjoyed. However, writers who tell hunting stories perhaps should at least go hunting once or twice. Either that, or study up on hunting dogs.
From Mpls I was seated next to a mother and daughter flying from MN to Palau to visit mother/grandmother for 4 days. Wow! 2 days of flying for a 4 day visit? The daughter, age 12?, and I exchanged food...I traded my shrimp for her fruit.
Another kindness of strangers story. The computers for Internet access here at the Bangkok Christian Guesthouse are coin operated. The Guesthouse desk didn't have change so I walked two blocks to the Skytrain stop to get change. I gave the clerk a 100Baht note ($3.)and got 10 ten Baht coins in change. I swept up coins from under the glass separating me from the clerk and walked away. Hearing a female voice saying "Hello, hello" I turned around and a woman gave me a coin that I had inadvertently left behind.
I do regularly check my email accounts while I'm here so feel free to email me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that your trip was smooth. A good book can really help on that long trip to Tokyo!
I can tell that I've been blissfully disconnected the last few months from some of the ridiculous partisan politics in the U.S.: I had to stop and think for a minute about who Sarah is...

Kathy M.

Anonymous said...

Glad you have arrived safely. Enjoy the warm weather. We look forward to further reports. Just checking out some older reports... Your granddaughter is just darling!! She looks like loads of fun.
Happy new year, Teresa