Monday, January 10, 2011

Living like a Thai!

Sunday afternoon I arrived at my Thai host family and have been warmly welcomed. They live in a modest home, without air conditioning :), a little bit outside of Ayutthaya. The family consists of a middle age couple, Mai pronounced Mii, Max pronounced Met and a 24 year old daughter, Poo pronounced Poe. I'm sure they are all nicknames because Thai names are very long.
I sleep on a mat in the big room (15' X 24') which is a combination living room, dinning room and office. For the third year in a row I went to the store and bought another mat so I have 6" rather than 3" between me and the tile floor. I've not been in the rest of the house but I assume it contains the bed rooms. The kitchen is in a lean to/patio area outside.
The bathroom has running water but showers are via a bucket. A bucket is probably better anyway because the water is cold and best to get it all at once.
The family has bent over backward to welcome me. Perhaps I could get used being waited on hand and foot. Curmudgeonette take notice. :) They are pleased to practice their English. Poo is a university graduate and works in IT for a bank. Her English is fairly good. We sit around the table after meals which my Thai/English dictionaries and talk; teaching each other.
A great surprise is to find that Met is a great cook. Last night she prepared a sauteed dish that was out of this world. There is always rice and then several dishes to go with the rice. She puts a ton of hot spice in one dish for the family and makes the others mild with me in mind. This morning she did an omelet and a sauteed pork and cauliflower dish.
Internet access has been somewhat limited. I'm using the house computer for this message. I'll report more when I can get online again.

No comments: