Friday, January 7, 2011

Bangkok and Minneapolis

Early this fall we left our suburban home and moved to a 15th floor condo in Minneapolis. Most of you probably knew this. What you probably don't know is the connection between our decision to move downtown and my time spent in Asia and particularly in Bangkok.
Since Lisa moved to Cambodia in the early nineties I've travelled regularly to SE Asia. Upon returning to our lovely suburban home in a great neighborhood I would say to the curmudgeonette "This is a nice neighborhood but it's sure boring."
Being back in Bangkok reminds me of the allure of living downtown. Downtown Mpls pales in comparison with the energy and vibrance of Bkk but there is some similarity. I love the sidewalks of Bkk filled with people, food stalls, and every sort of commerce one can imagine. They would be very frustrating if I had to get some place in a hurry. One thing is for sure...it's not boring!

No comments: