Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Why does the elephant have CDs tied to his tail?

Thailand, a relatively poor country, has universal health care. Government workers, who are paid very little have a plan that covers their dependents and themselves, employed people have insurance paid jointly by employer/employee and everyone else is eligible for care when they pay the first 30B, less than $1. US. Even the homeless people, and their are some, get medical care. I'll leave the commentary to someone else.
The teacher's challenge; how do I reach the really competent students and those who are almost clueless in the same class? I try to harness the ability of the best while teaching those who are far behind...ah, yes, and I don't even know their language!
Shandah was teaching a younger class yesterday. While she was teaching the Thai teacher left the room and didn't return until 20 minutes after the class was to end. Shandah was 20 minutes late to her next class. Yes...it's a bit laid back. Candy and ice cream are sold to the students in the lunch room. There are virtually no waste baskets so the students just throw the wrappers on the ground/floor and the custodian sweeps them up.
Yo Yo's are the rage with the students. I should've spent more time with them as a kid...my "walking the dog" leaves something to be desired. While I was trying a yo yo a girl walked up to me and said; "Teacher, I like chocolate." One of the questions in class was "raise your hand if you like chocolate. Her declaration was one of the little victories because the students are very reluctant to try speaking English individually.
So, why does the elephant have CDs tied to his tail? Because he doesn't have tail lights! :)

No comments: