Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It is not 'flied lice"!

English majors help me out. Besides choir, what other words beginning in 'ch' make the sound 'q'? It is the only one I could think of. I was teaching the 4th grade class about 'ch' in English. They often drop the last syllable so, when they see 'lunch' they say, 'lun'. (Of course what they really say is "eat rice".) Then there is the persistent problem of 'r' becoming 'l' so they ask, "Would you like some flied lice?" They can actually roll their r's and Thai does have an r sound. Maybe my having them practice 'fried rice' with rolled r's made a difference. Then again....at least it's fun. I tried to teach what the American slang, "4th grade rocks!" means. Success????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't find any other ch- words in English having the "kw" sound that choir does.
--Kathy M.