Saturday, February 14, 2009

It brought tears to my eyes!

Perhaps it is morbid fascination but I've always been moved by cemeteries. Reading the headstones makes me wonder about the lives so marked. That was particularly true yesterday at the military cemetery by the Bridge over the River Kwai, or Kwae as the Thai would say. To see the railroad, walk over the bridge built by POWs during WWII, and, visit the cemetery where many of them are buried, was a profoundly moving experience. English, Dutch and Australian men are buried there, the Americans, a small group of about 30, have been reburied elsewhere. There is a helpful museum that tells the story of the prisoners, the building of the railroad and the bridge is across the street. It made me think of my friend, Alf Larsen, and his experience in the Bataan Death March and as a POW. When I get home I think I'll rent the move "Bridge Over the River Kwai" and watch it again.

No comments: