Saturday, February 7, 2009

Teaching Stories

When I enter the classroom where I am to teach a lesson the students all stand and say in unison, "Good Morning Teacher". I respond, "Good Morning Students, how are you?" They say, "We are fine, thank you. How are you?" I say, "I am fine, thank you. You may be seated." Then the lesson begins. When I send the signal that the lesson is finished a student says "Class please stand." The class stands and the students in unison say, "Thank you teacher." I respond, "You are welcome. Thank you!" Just, some thing so sweet about that tradition. They love to shake hands...not the custom in Thailand. The tradition here is the 'wai', two hands pressed together in front of them. The height they raise their hands depends on the status of the person they are 'waing'. For me the students have their hands in front of their face because of my exalted status, i.e., teacher and old. My return wai is chest high given my status relative to them. They wai me every time I hand them a worksheet. I'm teaching them to use their right hand for shaking.
The classrooms have no doors so it is not unusual for dogs to wander in and out. In fact most of the school itself has no exterior doors. I was teaching 5th grade Thursday and the 6th grade was in the hall outside the classroom being very noisy. Just before I said something to the 6th grade about keeping the noise down ("neep neep cup" in Thai) I noticed that the noise was having no effect on the 5th graders, only me, so I kept my mouth closed. :)
It was fun teaching when I wasn't feeling well...now that I feel good it is going to be even better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The students sound great! What a fun teacher you must be! Now you can volunteer in our classrooms too.

Anonymous said...

having a dog wander into your classroom sounds almost as fun as having a dog run through outdoor worship at St James. :) I'm jealous!