Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More teaching....

Now that I've been at it for a couple of weeks I'm beginning to figure out what the students need from me...pronunciation. They can read and write in English and the teacher can help them with that. They really need help with pronunciation so they don't offer "flied lice" to eat. The English teacher, who is increasingly asking me for help, and I were discussing the problem with "R" and "L". I said, "For example Thai people say "Wat Salapoon instead of Wat Sarapoon". "But", she said, "it is Salapoon, the Thai letter is ( ) which is an L sound." Someone should have told the highway department who put Wat Sarapoon on the road sign.
Tomorrow I'll catch a ride to Bkk with the driver who brings Ed and Shera; their term is done. I want a hot shower and a soft bed for a couple of nights. But, I've decided to stay on for another week. I could go lie on a beach but where's the glory in that! :)

No comments: