Tuesday, February 3, 2009

There's a gecko in my coffee!

How old are children when they loose their front teeth? They made up my first class today and they are perfect parrots; "Good morning students my name is Al'' in unison the class said, "Good morning my name is Al." If got to be amusing; "I think I'll take another book" "I think I'll take another book." I don't think they understood a word they were saying but they do know the English alphabet, can count to 10, know the days of the week and the months of year. The big question now is what I do with them tomorrow.
My 6th graders warmed up a bit today. I gave them a picture of a Thai rock band and asked them to write a story about them in English. About half of the class could at least begin but the other half couldn't even start.
Ed, Shera and Shandah are great house mates. For Sherah, 25, from Queensland, Australia, this is the first stop on a year of volunteering around the world, Asia, Africa, both South and Central America. Ed & Shera, 37 and 29, are brother sister. She lives Buffalo, NY and he's moved to L.A.
At breakfast this morning Shandah wanted some coffee. She plugged in the hot vacuum pot and pressed the top and a gecko came out the spot. You'll be happy to know the gecko was unharmed and was released to hunt more mosquito's.
My last class ended at 11:30am, it was time to "eat rice", so I had a little lunch and the computer lab was locked so I went back to the house for a ferocious bout of food poisoning, one of those that went from "I'm afraid I'm going to die!" to "I'm afraid I'm not going to die" and back again. I can't eat anything this evening but I'm drinking lots of water! One of the little joys of life! Now I better do some prep. for tomorrow in case I'm recovered enough to teach.

No comments: