Friday, February 2, 2024

I quit!

     Yes, I quit smoking! It was in 1963 when the Surgeon General's Report on the serious health effects of smoking was released. Happy to have that behind me and it was before we were married. That's not the quit referred to in the title of this blog.

    For something over a year I subscribed to Ann Patchett's Parnassus First Edition Book Club. Every month subscribers receive a first edition book selected by Ann. What prompted this quitting? Three factors coalesced in making the decision.

    First and foremost there were too many selections which didn't appeal to me. Paying for hardcover books that weren't appealing didn't seem economically wise. These first edition books were signed by the author. Perhaps at age 30 collecting first edition signed copies would appeal. Now that I'm approaching the age of Methuselah there is no desire for collecting anything except my social security check.

   This put pressure on MJV who remains a subscriber. She can tell me when a selection is of such value I should find it and read it. We don't always agree on books, she refuses to read Septology, but that's a minor flaw. Her reading erudition is fine.

Takk for alt

Al

No comments: