Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Chauvinist

      A couple in the OFH sponsored, what Joanne would call a "friend raiser", for Lutheran Social Service (LSS) of Minnesota today. It was held in the club room. Sitting at a table I naively said "Now we'll find out who is Lutherans."  Marilyn, seated on my right replied "I'm Jewish." Diana and Gayle on my left both said "I'm Catholic."  How chauvinist of me! It reminded me of a story from Joanne's days as president of LSS of South Dakota/

   LSSSD annually held a banquet during the legislative session for Lutheran legislators. Included in this banquet was Stan Adelstein, who is Jewish. His inclusion was because he was serving on the LSS Board of Directors. At each place setting at the banquet was placed a gift box. As the guests opened their gifts they discovered Black Hill's Gold Crosses. Stan opened his box with trepidation fearing finding a cross. When he opened the box he discovered a Black Hill's Gold Star Of David!

   Stan has never forgotten that gift. Later, while I was Pastor at St. James Lutheran, Crystal, MN., he spoke at a Sunday service. Included in his remarks was the significance of that gift.

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: