Saturday, January 6, 2024

First sentence...

     The new book I've started is engaging though I'm still on the first sentence and I'm on page 88.😀 I prefer to say more about books I've finished reading so there will a more complete report later.

    Once again wisdom come from the 'funnies'. (See below.) Tomorrow will mark two years since I moved into the OFH. Friends here, Harry and Polly among the first residents in the building, told me shortly after I arrived that they "liked it from day one and even better as time went on." That's also been my experience.

   Four events in the last few weeks have contributed to my satisfaction. Every year the food services director goes all out for Christmas party that include all residents in both buildings. The buffet he prepares is outstanding making it a very gala affair. A good time was had by all, and also by Al.

  This year for the first time there was a Christmas party for residents of the 4th floor, on which I reside. The food was potluck but when the participants are seniors who obviously know their way around their kitchens it was an exceptionally fine buffet also. The group, much smaller than the all residents event, allowed for good conversation and making new acquaintances. 

   Another first was a New Year's Eve party and it had the same positive characteristics as the 4th floor Christmas Party.

   The fourth event I enjoyed was a simple gathering of military veterans. It was an opportunity to share military "war stories" with others who were interested. Since that event when I meet the veterans who were there it is evident that we bonded.

    A very common fetish among old people is "I'm going to die in my house!" Too often the effect is that they end up isolated and lonely. The OFH offers me ease of living, community when I want it and solitude if I chose.  Profoundly grateful I am!

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: