Wednesday, December 6, 2023

That Cap!

      The local bank had a customer appreciation cake and coffee this afternoon. One of the attendees was wearing a logo cap that proclaimed "I Wish America Was Like When I Was Growing Up."  If this is not quite the wording that was the sentiment. The wearer is two years older than I so we grew up together. He's a fine man whom I really like. The setting was at a table with several others.

    If the opportunity presents itself when I'm alone with him I'll wonder about that idea. Since I was a child huge strides have been made in women's rights. Take Title IX for example that has opened up athletic opportunities for girls and women. Great strides have been in career opportunities for women. In my childhood women were often limited to teaching, nursing or secretarial jobs. Strides have been made in granting women equal pay for equal work.

    The voting rights act was passed when I was a young adult.  African Americans previously had often been denied the vote. I rather doubt he'd approve of the return to Jim Crow laws in the south. Emmet Till was murdered for allegedly interacting with a white woman. 

      The "good old days" are a figment of imagination.

Takk for alt,

Al

This is the Monk's Chapel at Wat Klong, on the grounds by the school at which I taught in Thailand.


1 comment:

P M F said...

"These are the good old days." Carly Simon. ;->