Saturday, December 16, 2023

Google answer

       This morning at 6:00 a.m. we received skiff of snow. That's a description that I learned from my parents of small snowfall. With their Norwegian heritage I wondered if it was translated from the Norwegian into English. It's another one of those things that reminds me of them though Dad died in 1969 and  Mother in 1989. Either of my readers familiar with snow described as skiff?

     This being the digital age I repaired to Google to answer the wondering about the linguistic roots of snow as a skiff. This is Google's answer:

"Word of the day: "skiff" - a light fall of snow, such that the ground still shows through; a dusting of snow that newly discloses the land's forms (Scots; nouned from the verb "to skiff", to move in a light & airy manner, to skim). Also "skiftie", "skiffin", "skift", "skith".'  So there we have it. The snow quickly melted.

    As previously reported in this blog reading the obituaries is my daily habit. That practice was rewarded today.  In the Minneapolis paper Under Holger C.......s' name;  this was the entire obituary:

                                                            "Holger died. Boat for sale."

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: