Thursday, December 28, 2023

About Time!

       The gist of Thornton Wilder's Pulitzer Prize winning play Our Time has long been familiar to me. Emily's return to the village after her death is often cited in literature. MJV sent me a copy of the play as a prelude to reading Ann Patchett's Tom Lake, which she also sent to me. (Thanks MJV!) The play, so familiar from literature, led me to think that perhaps I'd read it years ago...wrong.

      This was my first reading. Patchett is one of my favorite authors and Tom Lake is her latest novel. Friends who have read it recommend it. Patchett, owner of Parnassus Bookstore, Nashville, TN., has a first addition book club to which I subscribe. She should have selected Tom Lake for the book club but did not. When Lake is completed a 676 page, small print, book awaits, good wintertime activity.

Takk for alt,

Al

 


    Sitting in the tent at cold weather training, Japan, 1961,  I'm writing a letter home, which I did every week.

No comments: